What does your business need to consider?
- Complete a job description detailing what you want the job to involve. Job description templates | Acas
- You must pay your employees at least the National Minimum Wage. Check here for the current National Minimum Wage and National Living Wage rates.
- Check that your staff have the legal right to work in the UK. Click here.
- Staff may require a DBS check (formerly CRB check) if their work is with children, vulnerable people or in security.
- All employees require an employment contract with their employer if they are working for more than one month. This sets out an employee’s employment conditions, rights, responsibilities and duties. You can find more information here.
- You will need employers’ liability insurance as soon as you become an employer.
- You will need to register as an employer with HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) when you start employing staff.
A useful guide to preparing to take on staff can be found here.